Saturday, January 29, 2011

A Winter Day-Cation

 This morning after our pancake breakfast Mark said "let's go do something" and not moments later he said "let's take the kids up to Mt. Baker and play in the snow."  So we got all the snow gear together and packed a cooler for lunch.  As you can see in the back of the van is our sled.  We took the sled so we could really enjoy the snow.  We hit the road around 11am and Levi fell asleep about a half hour into our 2 hour road trip.  Lulu just was her silly self and kept asking where the snow was.  Mt. Baker is where Mark and his family used to go snowboarding growing up, so he wanted to show us the beautiful drive and where he used to play in the winter.
 Lulu always smiles so nicely for pictures.  Once we do a nice smile she always asks to do a silly one.  This is more her, very silly.
 We made it all the way to the top of the mountain and there was plenty of snow to play in.
 This is where we ended up playing.  This was a trail in between the parking lot and chair lift one.  It was a perfect sized hill for us to sled on. On either sides of the trail there was lots of deep snow to play in too.
 Levi was having trouble standing since he looked like the Michelin Man and could barley move. 
 I had to help hold him in order to get this picture.  After a bit he got the hang of walking in this kind of snow.
 Mark and Lulu were the first brave ones to try the hill with our sled.  They had so much fun.
 Now it was Levi, Ila and my turn.  We all had fun too!
 The snow was very deep and when I stepped into it my leg sunk into the snow about up to my knee.  You can see the hole near Lulu where I stepped.  So here is Mark making a path for me by packing the snow down.  Lulu was so light she had no problem going all over the place.
 Here is Levi unsure of what he wanted to do.  He was watching Lulu have so much fun but that sled was really fun too.  Plus there were snow mobiles off in the background and that was also fun to watch....decisions, decisions.
 Mark and Lulu made it up this hill in the deep snow.
 And Levi couldn't resist any longer, he joined in the fun of climbing the hill.
 The snow was so fluffy and soft, I couldn't resist just plopping down and making a snow angel with Lulu.
 Here I am on the trail Mark made me.  Really if I ventured off of it I would be stuck.  Mark was fine walking through it but I'm 5 months pregnant and was breathing pretty hard.  Mark gave me his snowboard gear to wear.  I wasn't able to zip the pants up around my belly but his coat was long enough that it didn't matter. 
 Here's Lulu building her snow sculpture. 
 Levi was funny, he wasn't too sure about any of this.  He had fun but I think his outfit was a bit difficult to move in and the snow was so deep that it was just tiring for him. 
 Time to head home.  The kids got a ride up the hill to our van. 
 We had so much fun.  We went into the lodge for a bit and the kids got to see what skiing and snowboarding was.  We watched everyone get on the lifts and ride down the mountain.  They loved watching everyone. 
Back to the van.  We had a really fun day-cation!

2 comments:

dee dee said...

What memories for the entire family! I'm so impressed that you are out playing with your baby on the way! Smiles, smiles, smiles all around!
Dee Dee

corners of my life said...

A two hour drive to play in the snow?! What dedicated parents you are. Looks like it was a fun day.