Thursday, May 19, 2011

Ila's Birth Story

 I went into labor around 5:30pm on May 9th, 2011.  Ila May was born about 3 hours later at 8:27pm.  Earlier that morning I was an emotional wreck and cried in Mark's arms, so he decide to stay home from work and just be a family and help me out.  We had a great day and I think the Lord knew I needed Mark to be home so I could get some rest.  I took a great nap that afternoon and woke up around 3:45pm.  At 4pm we went for a walk around our neighborhood.  Lulu and Levi were in the bike trailer while Mark pushed it and I tired with every step to go into labor.  Nothing really happened while on our walk but it was a beautiful day and it felt good to get out.  When we got home we had to head out to my weekly midwife appointment.  My midwife is about 30min away from us with no traffic so we headed out around 5:15pm to get to my 6pm appointment.  When we were about 10min away (5:30pm) from her office I noticed a strong contraction, then not 2min. later I felt another one.  Then another and another.  Mark pulled into the parking lot and I headed into the office ahead of my family.  I got in and told the assistant that my contraction were coming every few minutes and they were lasting at least a minute or longer.  I told her that I wanted to head home.  So she went and got my midwife who was with another expectant mom at the time.  My midwife came in and checked me, I was only 2-3cm dilated.  I was hoping to hear that I was at least 4 or 5.  She agreed I was most likely in labor and she sent me home with her and the assistants not too far behind us.  When we left the appointment it was 6:15pm.....a 15min midwife appointment, unheard of.  They usually last 40min to an hour.  On our way home I called my midwife twice to make sure she was really on her way.  Both times she reassured me she was.  About 15min from home on the freeway I got a little worried we might not make it home because my contractions were not letting up.  Mark was driving fast but safe and Lulu and Levi were in the back just going along for the ride.  I called my mom 3 times, the first time I told her that this "could" be it, the last call I told her "meet us at the house."  My dad and her were driving too and about 25min away from out house.  We got home at 6:45pm I went right into the house and started leaning on the back of the big leather chair in our living room.  My mom and dad pulled up right then and my mom started timing contractions and giving me water to drink.  Lulu and Levi were running around the house in excitement and Mark was getting the birth things ready.  Not moments later (6:50pm) the first assistant showed up.  Then my midwife showed up right after her and then the 2nd assistant showed up.  Now I could give birth.  While I labored I walked around our house talked with everyone, stopped to have a contraction then started walking and talking again.  Lulu and Levi were a great distraction, they would come up and hug me, talk to me, rub my back.  A lot of books on labor say to have a nice tranquil environment that is peaceful and quiet so you can concentrate on each contraction.  WHAT?  Who wants to concentrate on a contraction?  I sure don't, they hurt and I want my mind on something else.  So having Lulu and Levi running around making noise and playing really did help me to not focus on my contractions.  But everyone is different and what works for me in labor might not work for others.  Around 7:50pm I was 7cm dilated and my water broke.  Jump forward just a bit and I was up on our bed pushing Ila out.  I had two pushes that only took 3 min and she was out.  She was covered in vernix and Lulu asked me why she was dirty and if she was ok.  Lulu was right by my side and saw her little sister be born.  My mom was holding Levi and he also got to see his little sister be born.  That evening we were in bed by 11pm and everyone was gone.  That night we slept great.  I loved my labor with Ila and I thank God for His protection.  She was 7lbs 5oz and 19" long, my smallest baby so far.    

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, so beautiful!!! Thanks for sharing your story!

corners of my life said...

A little sleeping beauty she is!

dee dee said...

How perfectly fantastic! God is so good and she is just beautiful!
Dee Dee

Angel said...

Congrats! What a beauty!