Sunday, September 5, 2010

Happy 1st Birthday Levi!

One year ago today Levi was born. I had a wonderful homebirth and here is Levi's birth story:

It was a Saturday and I woke up and went to an appointment with my midwife. I was going on almost 2 weeks past my due date so Valarie my midwife wanted to see how things were going. When she checked she told me I was 4cm dilated and she could feel the baby's head!! I wasn't having any contractions and felt really good. So, we left the birth center and dropped Lulu off at my parents house because Mark and I were going to go test drive a car that we were looking to buy. Our appointment for the test drive was at 11am. I sat in our van while Mark took the car for a test drive. I made some calls to let some friends and family know that I was still pregnant. I remember while I was sitting waiting in the car I felt a contraction but didn't think much. Then on our way home I had another. We decided to go out and get some lunch. At this time it was noon and I was hungry. While we were eating I had a few more contractions and it was around 1pm at this time. I even told our waitress that I might be in labor and she thought that was exciting. After lunch we went home and I wanted to rest while Mark went and picked Lulu up, this was around 2pm. When they got home it was around 3pm and I was still having contractions but they weren't painful yet and I didn't feel the need to time them yet. I really don't like timing my contractions but finally I noticed they just weren't going away so I thought I would start making a note of how often they were coming because I knew my mom and my midwife were both going to be asking me how far apart they were......so being the good daughter I am I thought I would do this. So at this point they were about 2.5 min apart. I was still feeling really good and in no way feeling like a baby was coming. I called my mom and told her that I think I'm in labor, you might want to head over but I feel pretty good still. Then I called my midwife and she told me she was about 40min away but on her way, this was at 5pm. Then I thought I should let Mark know that I was in labor, even though he was standing right there in the kitchen with me. It didn't really hit him and he thought it was a bit odd that everyone was on their way because I was still able to hold a normal conversation with him. You see, Mark and I both have this odd thing about being in denial about labor. I'm very calm during labor and for me it's not very painful until the baby is actually coming out so my signs are hard to read. My mom arrived at 5:11pm and took over timing my contractions. She is my doula and I don't know what Mark and I would do without her being there. She is the one who thinks rationally in these situations and tells me, "Kimmy, yes you are in labor and this baby is coming soon." Now I love Mark and I think we do really well together during labor and make a good team. Some couples need to actually be next to each other and talking through contractions, but that's not us. While I was laboring Mark was doing dishes and dusting the birth pool.....yes, he was dusting. This works for us, it's not for everyone but for us this is what works. He keeps busy doing his thing and I keep busy doing my thing and then the baby arrives and we get to relax and be a family together. So once Mark was about done with the dishes, Valarie my midwife showed up and it was about 5:40pm. Her assistant showed up at 5:56pm. At 6:30pm my brother Todd and his wife Stephanie showed up and started taking pictures and the video. I want to say a special thank you to them for these amazing pictures that I have posted here. What a gift it has been to have both Lulu's birth and Levi's birth documented by them. Finally at 6:45pm the pain set in and I said "why am I doing this at home?" I remember just wanting it to be over and done. At 6:58pm my water broke and I looked up at Valarie my midwife and told her that I need to push. So we headed into our bedroom and everyone started getting ready for the baby to arrive. I remember not moments later I reached down and felt Levi's head and a few more pushes and he was out!! Lulu was right there while Valarie caught him. Then she handed Levi up to me. I was going to let Mark see if it was a girl or boy but I couldn't help but notice that it was a boy so I yelled out "It's a boy!!" before he even had a second to look. Valarie told me that while Lulu was watching she said "I see the baby!" Levi was born at 7:08pm weighing 9lbs 9oz and 21 1/2 inches long. He was BIG, but I already knew that. By 11pm everyone was gone and we all went to bed. Levi nursed right away after the birth and that night he slept so well and that meant we all slept really well too. It was picture perfect and I give all the glory to God for Levi's birth. Here is Lulu and I standing at the front door to our house about 30min before Levi joined our family. Here is my mom helping me through a contraction. She would give me water and put a cool rag on my neck, just what mom's do best. They take care of their babies even when they are 26 years old.
Here's Lulu hugging me while I was laboring.
Lulu was such a comfort to me during my labor. She did great and showed me so much love and comfort. She would tell me she loved me and how excited she was to meet the baby. It was such a great way for me to focus on her and not the pain I was feeling. I'm so thankful we had her there with us. I will always remember that special time I had with her.
Here's my mom comforting me during a contraction. She played two roles, my mom and my doula. What a blessing she has been for Mark and I during my pregnancies and labors.
Here is Valarie my midwife helping me through a contraction while Lulu was comforting me. Lulu was so hands on and helpful. We had a movie going for her but she wanted nothing to do with the movie. She wanted to be right with me helping and watching everything. I think she might be a midwife someday and a very good one too.
Here is our first family picture moments after Levi was born.
Here is little Levi Mark.
So content from the very first moments. And such a little cutie pie.Here is Mark holding Levi for the very first time.
What a proud daddy and sister.
And here is Levi being weighed. Look at Mark's face in the background......he's thinking are you kidding me? That's one big baby!

I would have to say that this past year has been amazing and Levi is such a blessing. Levi has brought so much joy to our family. Just like our Heavenly Father said in His Word, children are a blessing and we feel so incredibly blessed to have two amazing little children.

Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. James 1:17

8 comments:

Christine said...

Words can't express how proud I am of you and Mark.
Thank you for making me a Grandma.
Thank you for asking me to be your Doula.
To watch a grandchild be born is a blessing and a gift, a miracle!

Susan said...

What a great story! And such a beautiful family!
Happy Birthday, Levi!
Blessings!

Betsy Brock said...

What a sweet story! He's a cutie!

dee dee said...

Kimmy,
First I must say... you are so beautiful pregnant! What a wonderful birth story! God has blessed you 10 fold, with a wonderful family! Happy birthdat sweet boy!
Dee dee

corners of my life said...

I am speechless! Thank you for sharing this wonderful story of Levi's debut. Lucky Mom (Christine) and lucky you to have had her there with you.

Kelsey said...

This post had me BAWLING! you will never regret having these pictures and this precious blog documenting your childrens lives. What a beautiful post!!

Kelsey said...

So after your announcement I had to come back to this post. Im crying again, just thinking about how God is blessing you with such a gorgeous family....another one on the way.I love that you are posting all this for us to share with you!!!

Kimmy said...

Oh thank you C! That is so sweet of you. God's blessing are amazing espically when they are sweet little babies. I'm so thankful I get to share all of this with you too.