Saturday, February 5, 2011

Super Easy Maternity Skirt

 I have found that it's really hard to find maternity clothes at thrift shops, especially skirts.  Actually mini maternity skirts are a dime a dozen around here but you won't find me in a mini skirt, especially a maternity one.  I can't imagine being pregnant and wearing a mini skirt......I'm all about comfort while still looking feminine.  It's really easy to find maternity pants though, especially dress pants for working moms who need to look professional at work while pregnant.  So I made my own skirt.  I went to a our local thrift store and found this darling sun dress.  It's not maternity and the top is not my style but the bottom would work perfect for a skirt.  Then I found some dress maternity pants that fit me with one of those stretchy belly bands on top.  This was two different trips to the thrift store by the way.  I took my seam ripper and detached the top of the dress right below the black band.  I then detached the stretchy belly band from the maternity pants.  I then took in the seams on either side of the skirt about 1.5" on both sides to match the pants opening.  I then traced with chalk the form of the belly onto the skirt portion of the dress and cut out the belly in the skirt where the band would go.  Then I did a lot of pinning and sewed it all together.  Now I have a really comfy maternity skirt.  Didn't use a pattern and most of the sewing was done for me already.   
 Here is my new skirt with the belly band from the dress pants.  By the way, the dress pants still had the tags on them. They cost just a few dollars.  The dress was also a couple dollars.  Not too bad!
Here is the end result on me.  It fits great.  I'm excited to make some more. 

4 comments:

Christine said...

The skirt is so YOU!
Great way to use and reuse.
Way to go, Kimmy.

(I'm on the hunt for those "belle bands")

dee dee said...

Kimmy,
Wonderful job! i would so wear that skit!
Dee Dee

Kelsey said...

So super cute ....And crafty!!

Love it a lot:)....


love,
Kelsey

Kelsey said...

You go friend! LOVE the skirt, so very cute and what a great idea. I used to buy Kelsey ladies mini skirts and sew them up length wise to make them narrow enough to fit her, have to be creative sometimes.